Back to the drawing board!
I have not posted in almost a month because I was scratching my head for weeks, about why I was stalling in my weight loss efforts. It was a bit of a roller coaster. I started to question everything. Through-out all of this I’ve read a couple more books, and even actively been reading more health articles than usual, to see if there are somethings that I’ve been missing. Frankly, I started to realize that there was a trend to what I was reading. Whole foods vs. Processed foods and this includes meat products. Shockingly even some of my favorite go to “low carb” food’s I was finding out that they weren’t so low carb after all. Or were not as healthful as I originally thought!
Here is a brief list:
- Packaged shredded cheese is processed with potato starch presumably to keep it from clumping into one big piece again. I was using a lot of this, especially in my low carb cauliflower pizza recipe. Gone from my diet!
- Mayonnaise which is store bought all contain “Soybean Oil” as their main ingredient oil. Not to mention a whole host of other chemical preservative ingredients. Gone from my diet! However there are many other Paleo friendly, using olive oil, recipe’s out there to make your own. I plan on starting to do this! A simple Google search will produce some results for you to ponder.
- Canola oil is actually Rapeseed oil. Which is not much healthier for you than Soybean Oil is. A lot of dressings and other products out there are made with both of these oils. Gone from my diet! I’ve decided to cut them out completely. Replacing it with Extra Virgin cold pressed, Olive oil, salt and pepper.
- I’ve also decided that diary products, such as cheese, creamer, heavy cream, sour cream, and even high fat, plain greek yogurt is out. My mother and grandmother were of Portuguese decent and had a lactose intolerance. I believe “in part” that to be my problem as well. Since cutting out the dairy, I have seen better results. So dairy is gone from my diet. (Although note that occasionally I’ll probably still have a Breve’ from time to time)
- Peanut butter. It is a fairly low carb treat. However, in small amounts Not that it is easy to eat in small amounts but that is why I am cutting them out for now. Also I would like to say that most “natural creamy” peanut butter’s are made with Palm Oil. I’ve heard that it is okay to eat. Say’s “Dr. Aedes” However, I still insist on buying the all natural “you must stir” kind. When the ingredients say… “Peanuts” only. If it’s not sweet enough I add in 2-3 packs of Splenda and mix it in, in the original jar.
Maybe I am starting to see the light more, and moving more towards a “Paleo” style diet. The last thing that I want is to consume the “wrong” kind’s of fats. This alone can make my weight loss and health issue’s worse. And I don’t need anything else in the back of mind wondering if this food is okay or not. Sticking to simple whole food’s even if that means eating eggs 3 times a day, because I’m out of everything else.
I’m finding that even store bought “Rotisary Chicken’s” are cured and cooked with sugar’s and tons of other extra’s. It’s so disheartening to read ingredient lists today. What happened to normal food? Pure food? It’s all chemically engineered and I start to wonder if this isn’t the true problem of our time!
Some other changes I’ve made:
- Reduced coffee and Splenda intake. Increased fresh brewed “Iced Tea”. Occasionally I’ll flavor it with “True Lemon” but mostly I like it straight. This also has been keeping me more hydrated than normal.
So in the last two weeks I’ve been “trying” desperately to stick to the new rules. And it is paying off. 9 pounds down, now. And I’m just about to break into new low numbers I haven’t seen in a long while.
Look, if you are struggling like me. Just remember, we got metabolically broken from years of poor eating. It takes time. It takes diligence Eventually you will get to the point you know what you can and cannot do to reach your goals. It’s all a learning experience because we all have been trained in the wrong thinking for so very long. I’m so glad that the health community is growing in favor of low carb / paleo, more and more every day. There are thousands of things out there designed to make you fail. Avoid them. Try them, if you must but remove them if you really think they could be part of the problem. That is where I am at. I just want to live a good, happy, healthy life without feeling starved. Just like anyone else out there!
I am so glad that I have low carb, because it works naturally to make sure I never have to feel starved, while losing weight and getting more healthy while I am at it.
Snapshot of a what I’m eating daily:
- B: Eggs cooked in butter or coconut oil and/or a few slices of bacon.
- L: Spiral sliced ham, cooked in the crock pot. Bone in is the best flavor!
- D: Steak and broccoli or asparagus cooked in butter.
- S: 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (occasionally, not everyday)
- D: Coffee + Splenda in the AM and late PM as needed. Iced Tea brewed fresh each day. I may add in some “True Lemon” sprinkles to flavor, but not typically. And of course water.